Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Enough, hallmark!

Society makes it very hard for me to avoid all things "mother's day" as I discovered last year. It's not that I don't believe in making a day all about your mom and taking the opportunity to recognize her hard work and all the good she does in the world. I totally get the need to do that, now more than ever. I just don't like it when things are forced onto me for things that I feel are really personal and unique.

This year my perception is a bit different. Sure, I still miss my mom more than words can say. Actually, its not really a "miss" feeling - more that of an overdue hug. Our struggles with fertility have really shown me a different perspective on what parenthood is or can be. I'm kind of annoyed that we only take one day out of the year (or two counting father's day) to stop and take notice.

Every time I get emails with "the perfect gift for mom!" as the subject line, I puke a little. I know that if I could give my mom a hug and a hand drawn picture of a house with purple clouds and a heart she would feel like the luckiest mom in the world and when my time comes to be a mom, I will make it my goal to feel all the same love and joy in her honor. If I can accomplish that, maybe I can forgive hallmark.
Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here here!!

It was YEARS before I stopped getting mad at Home Depot commercials around father's day...

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails