Thursday, July 2, 2009

Canada Day in Hill-free SK

No Parliament Hill this year for me! :( ... in fact, no hills at all! It was quite convenient to watch the fire works though.

We spent a relaxing day at home. Friends were supposed to come over but plans got changed and most of them ended up going to Regina for the day. I didn't want to go to Regina. I didn't want to be reminded of how much I love Canada Day and how far away I was from the core of the action, Ottawa.

I remember, a couple years ago, we would start drinking around noon at Laframbo's place and stumble our way to the Hill for the evening concert and fire works. Then we'd rush back in the mob of people, trying not to loose any friends to the crowd. Oh, the hangover!

On days like that, I miss Ottawa. I miss having everything right there, a couple blocks away. I miss knowing where everything is and the places to avoid. I miss ordering pizza and not having a $8-$12 delivery fee because we live outside the "city". I miss going to concerts whenever I feel like it and I miss having to choose which bar I want to go to.

I really like it in Saskatchewan, it's got it's perks. (Mind you, I haven't had to survive a winter out here yet! Ask me again in January!) I love the warm weather, this community and the small town charm.

I think, next year, I am going to sit on the small hill behind our house to watch the fireworks so I'll be able to say I watched them from the Hill... even if it's the only one in Saskatchewan.

No comments:

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails