Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pick a purse, any purse!

I'm enjoying this blog. I never realized how many things I realize everyday and this blog is making me realize that I never really realized how many things I realize and don't realize. (?) ... Is it just me or is the room spinning? *dizzy*

So today was pretty marre-vé-lousse! *thick french accent* I had a pretty great day at work, busy but not insane, everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing and everything went smoothly... I came home to some fantastic news (that still remains unconfirmed so curious minds will have to wait!) changed into something else than black clothes and went to dinner with my best friend and a friend of his I'd never met. (It was a total coincidence, I swear!) Food. Drinks. Cake. Fun was had by all! (I think!)

Most importantly, I came to a great conclusion that made me feel not so bad about breaking my pinky-swear with Nick. (Take it up with Jf, Nick. I had nothing to do with it!)

So when a close friend's relationship has come to an end, what's our job as friends? We want our firend to be happy so we try to find what's best for them and encourage them down that road. In this case, I strongly encouraged my friend to call me at the wee hours of the morning asking me to drive him home or asking me to hold his drink while he reaches for his 35th and hands 4 different guys his phone number. That was my knee jerk reaction in this case : get out there, get laid and come back when you're over it. In other (read : better) words : Don't plunge head first into a relationship, wait until you start dating again and don't get attached to quickly! That is, according to me, the bestest advice that I can give my friend (in this case) for him to live a little and not get hurt again (or hurt anyone else!). He agrees. All is well.

Then why is it that when my friend meets someone new and they start to spend some time together, I wave my mother's finger of shame at him going *tisk tisk*? Why is it that everytime I hear "we're not dating" I want to roll my eyes until I can see the inside of my skull?

How else is he ever going to get to know someone enough to be prepared to reinvest himself in a relationship that will be fullfilling and passionate for both of them? Sure as hell won't accomplish that if he's hanging off the side walk in front of a club too drunk to tell his ass from his face! (Thanks Erin!)

Allow me to translate with purse shopping : You're shopping for a purse with a friend. She's looking at a gorgeous Prada bag. You keep tuggin on her sleeve and begging her to at least consider the pleathery stuff they sell at Wal-Mart. It's cheaper, she'll be able to afford 154 purses for the price of just ONE Prada bag and you can just trash them when they are out of style. But your friend really likes the Prada and is still considering if she should get it or not... LET THE WOMAN CONSIDER THE PRADA BAG!

Clearer now!?

We're old. We don't necessarily need to get hammered out of our minds and do stupid things, that's why we spend so much time doing that a couple of years ago. Now, the wisedom is starting to sink in (for some of us!) and we can't expect to find what we're looking for in the same places and deal with our problems the same way.

My friend was doing exactly what I wanted him to do, exactly what's best for him and RIGHT under my nose and I was a blind fool for not seeing it. They are not adopting a child, they are hanging out and having a good time. For once (once!) he's actually doing what I tell him too... clearly, he must think it's his idea! ;o)

No comments:

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails