Thursday, November 13, 2008

Friends. Real ones.

Jf and I had a talk today over some coffee and some not-so-equally-shared sweets. We admittedly talked about our inability to be normal. We are strange, we do inexplicable things and we wouldn't have it any other way. We'd be so boring. That's what we do. I exchange my half eaten gingerbread cookie for his untouched brownie. He takes half an hour to tell me all about why he takes two sugars in his coffee sometimes and I test out my glasses while he talks. He gestures, I duck this flailing hands. He comes out, I support him. I crumble, he picks me up. I move across the city, he moves across the city. I mumble, he understands. That's what we do.

Jenna asked me today if Maggie was my sister or my friend and I said "Pretty much both!" and she commented that we looked alike so she wasn't sure. I said it probably came with the many many years of friendship. It's true! We've grown even more alike now than when we were kids. We've seen each other through so many things. Laughter, tears, heartbreaks, love, school, freezing apartments, burning buildings, fish (god bless their souls!), jobs, cars (or lack of), special events and milestones, we've always been able to count on one another. No questions asked. We are not exact replicas of each other (I don't think the world could handle that!) but we resemble each other in our thoughts even if our opinions are not the same.

I wonder sometimes if we've always been like this or if we became what we are with time? So I've got Jf on one side. We are opposites that do the same things. I've got Maggie on the other side. We think the same but we do things differently. I could not ask for more in my two best friends.

1 comment:

Lana said...

That's like me and my Friend Nat- friends since babyhood and two less alike people you'll never find but we've always been together!

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails