Saturday, November 1, 2008

It's not easy being Rosie.


Pretty normal Saturday in the life of me. Work was pretty good, must say. Did lots and digitz were kinda sweet! ;o) I've been slaving over some mock schedules that I need to prepare by next week and the more I get done, the more I realize that it's a great preparation even if I'm going to have to change it all anyways in a couple of weeks... *sigh* Gotta love retail!

Last night was fun. It almost didn't happen because Jf wasn't feeling too too great but he decided to go out anyways and I was thrilled cause I didn't really want to stay home alone in my Rosie the Riveter costume. *lame* We headed to Club Edge in an orange Batmobile and Nick and his bunch eventually showed up. We didn't stay uber long due to Jf's not-so-healthy-feeling and a these-hand-cuffs-don't-have-a-release-button incident. (Don't look at me! *points at Jf*)

I was really disapointed/surprised at how many people didn't know who Rosie the Riveter was. I know many people don't know her name and I'm not judging, 'cause I sure as hell didn't until a couple of months ago. I knew the icon and what it stood for. I knew why it was and where it came from. I got a ton of "Oh! It's the girl from the tampax commercials!" and that kinda thing. I'm kinda disapointed about that. Really? Is that what she represents now? Tampax. *mumbles something about loving/hating branding passionately*

My thoughts : She represents progress. She represents courage and strength. She represents determination and "thinking outside the box". She inspired many women to make a stand and do what they wanted.

Sure... sure, women were paid alot less than men and they were not always treated fairly for the work they provided. The point is : they did it. It was a start and they were fearless and they were determined to make a difference. Everyday I go to work, every time I drive my car and everytime I don't have to ask my "husband" the right to hang out with my girlfriends, I'm pretty darn happy these headstrong women did what they thought was right, even if it was the exact opposite of what was expected of them.

That's what Rosie means to me. I'm sure it wasn't all bunnies and roses... but I chose to see the positive side. It wouldn't be a story unless it had two sides.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you ever think that we (MG's) are the modern equivalent of Rosie? When the country protests and ignores its soldiers, we're the ones still working to keep the homefront...
Not to pat our backs too much or anything...

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails