Thursday, August 26, 2010

Us : 1 - Wine Cabinet : 0

Over the last week and a bit, people keep asking me "How's married life treatin' ya?" or something to that effect and to be quite honest, I don't really know what to answer. Sure, there's some added romance in the air and all but aside from that, it's pretty much business as usual. We've been living together for so long, we have joint back accounts and all that grown up stuff. Doesn't leave much for some special treatin' from good old married life.

Tonight, tonight was different. Tonight, we build some Walmart furniture without screaming, throwing screws, breaking things or having to dismantle and start over because if misread instructions. Yes, ladies and gents - we have evolved as a couple! I felt like cheering, holding the teeny wine cabinet unit thing on top of my head like the Stanley cup and running laps around the Base.

It doesn't seem like much but it's EFFING huge for us. Me having control issues, OCDness and some pretty off the wall anxiety fits and him having pretty much the opposite of all of those - you'd think we just complete each other. That's now how it works at all. I want to organize my hair clips in order of size and color and he doesn't get why I need little storage components for each category. When we decided to start assembling, I'm going to be honest, I went looking for the paper bags. Not for my head - to breathe in. By the time I figured we were out (yeah - it's kinda bad) I turned around and there it was, our little wine cabinet thing. Mocking me.

Js' Dad said during his speech at the wedding :

...It's been great seeing them navigate the intricate process of planning a wedding, especially from a distance and to be quite honest, I have no idea how they managed it but they did. That says a lot about a couple and how they can work together through anything. At this point, they are almost ready to attempt putting up wallpaper together. That's when you know you have something solid.
That wine cabinet is our wallpaper.

3 comments:

E. said...

Oh. My. God. I think we might be the same person. Honestly.

I am an organized freak. One of our hurdles to overcome was my explaining why I had so many shoe boxes to organize things (when we first got together I was in university and I often organized things, particularly paperwork, etc. by shoeboxes because they were easy to store and move). He doesn't get my obsession with order and containers to keep things neat and separated. Oddly enough, he is a neat freak. But not an organized freak. There is a BIG difference.

Okay. And I'll stop rambling now.

Unknown said...

This is adorable. M and I once had a meltdown over hanging pictures, so I feel your pain. :)

Janny A. said...

I have a post that says almost the same thing as the begining of yours hidden around somewhere! I SOOOO understand what you mean!!!

But congrats on the cabinet :D That's awesome!!

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails