Monday, April 12, 2010

Baking Fun - Tinkerbell Cake Pan

I'm not particularly fond of Tinkerbell but I got a special request for a friend's birthday. I'm very pleased with the turn out.

Tinkerbell Wilton Cake Pan

My advice : Save up a whole week's worth of patience before attempting your very first Wilton Cake Pan.

The cake was a simple vanilla cake. They wanted a basic plain vanilla cake so I'm not going to lie, with all the effort I put into the icing and decoration, this cake came straight from a box. (Nick Ross, take you mind out of the gutter!) The only kind of cake I wouldn't recommend for this is the "only add water" kind. I find those to go dry and not have a lot of "lift" to them. The ones that need eggs and/or oil seem to stay moist a bit longer and have a bit more flavor to them. Sure, more calories but with all the icing we're going to throw on there... does it really matter?!

I fallowed the method indicated on the Wilton website. I had a hard time figuring out the eyes and they ended up being too thick so I had to take some of the white out in order to put in the blue and the black. If you're doing eyes or lips, spread out the icing in thin layers but thick enough because you don't want any transparency. I had a hard time centering the eyes but trial and error works best. I used to black jellybeans to help me get it right and center everything before adding the icing. I figured they'd be easier to move around and remove than scraping off icing and starting over again.

I wanted to add some extra color so I used some left over Easter candy and decorated the cake with little flowers and confetti.

Otherwise it was a pretty simple but tedious process.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I Love this!!
Now, the question is... you took a Wilton class, did you not? Would a lay-person be able to complete this with half the awesomeness of your cake?

Marie said...

I took a class but not a Wilton class. Maggie took the Wilton classes and it looked like they covered a lot more stuff. Ours was just a guy who makes cakes who showed us some of the things he knows. He wasn't a great teacher so most of the class was spent trying to figure shit out.

I just fallowed the instructions that came with the pan (you can find them on the website too!). They made it pretty easy considering. :)

Danielle said...

Um. You're amazing.

P.S. I gave you an award on A Bittersweet Mirage!!

Shayna said...

So adorable --- I've always been afraid of how badly my trying one of these cakes would end... because I lack patience! ;-)

Marie said...

Thanks ladies!!

Sayna : I'd suggest you give it a try with a simple one. I always find the faces hardest to draw so this was a challenge. They have simple ones that allow you to get a bit more creative so if you run out of patience you could get away with it and no one would ever know. *shhh* ;)

Unknown said...

Wow! That's amazing! I'd like to try something like that someday!

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails