Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wedding update : To veil or not to veil

Life is full of tough choices and normally, people try to make things simpler. I, on the other hand, seem to sadistically enjoy making things more complicated. Are you shocked? Didn't think so.

When it came time to pick out my wedding day attire, I knew I wanted an ivory dress, I knew I wanted something romantic (I won't post too many details in case curious eyes linger) and I didn't want anything too over the top. Cue in long shopping days, countless layers of tulle and a couple frazzled sales ladies - I finally found and picked the perfect gown.

As everyone around me sighed with relief, looming around the corner was a small sparkly bit of tulle full of hope. A veil.

The first thing I asked myself was if I really wanted one. Yes, I knew I wanted to wear something on my head. But what? I didn't want anything too long and poofy, I didn't want anything to cover my face and I didn't want anything that would get caught in a great aunt's brooch. Sounds simple, right?! Right!?

Well it's not.

My mom made a HUGE deal about me wearing a veil - in her own little guilt-tripping ways. I knew that if I didn't wear a veil at all, I'd really upset her. (Notice here how I say "I would upset her" instead of "it would upset her"... yes, she's that' good!)

The few sales ladies who were brave enough to catch me off guard and stick a veil on my head (their courage was quite impressive) in an attempt at getting me to cry or to say "That's the one!" under my breath were sourly disappointed. It just didn't do anything for me and sort of made me go "meh" at every veil I saw. Don't get me wrong, I think veils are super pretty and some of the detailing is just gorgeous. Just not on my head, for some strange reason.

I started looking at some alternatives and finally decided on something that works for everyone. It's a good compromise for my mom, she still gets to fiddle with it as much as her heart desires (or until my patience expires - whichever comes first). For me, it's got that not-too-traditional vibe to it and it's uber romantic so there. VoilĂ !

A bit of it had to do with the whole cover-your-face-until-he's-already-said-yes-in-case-he-wants-to-run-away-when-he-sees-you and a bit of it had to do with how they just felt silly on my head and not very "me".

There you have it, pretty much my entire attire is picked out now. I'm off to buy my shoes (!!) tomorrow and then I'll probably only need a couple extra things (oh, and I need some fancy-shmancy underthings) and we'll be good to go. Eeek!

6 comments:

Erin said...

I picked out a cute little veil (you know, the little short ones), and my mom told me I looked like a beekeeper. Boo to Trish! Haha. Good luck with the shoe search! Text me throughout the shopping experience with pictures so I can see! haha

Unknown said...

Aww... I wanna seeeeeee :D :D
You're gonna be a LOVELY bride :)

E. said...

Ha ha. I had the same veil stress. I didn't want anything covering my face, and I also didn't want anything covering my hair (I mean, why go to the hairdresser and pick out the perfect hairstyle, only to cover it up so no one can see it?!). So I had one specially made that was only one layer shorter than a traditional veil, but was still long enough. It tucked it under my hair and was uber cute. Happy shoe and under-things hunting!

PopGeek said...

I, personally, am thinking non-veil for my wedding, but you never know

Marie said...

Thanks for all your input ladies! (and Nick... ah, who am I kidding...)

I got the shoes and looked at everything together and I don't think I could have picked out a more perfect ensemble! :) It's just wonderful and I can't wait to show you all the photos!

Maggie said...

Can't wait to see it all together on toi! :) Oh, the wait! :)

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails