Sunday, January 10, 2010

Reasons why I hate Reality TV - #1 to 6

I don't like reality TV. I know it's a pretty bold statement but it's true. Sometimes I'll get carried away in an episode of "Take this house and sell it" or some kind of home reno show like or I'll just forget to change the channel and my ears will start bleeding 15 minutes into "Say yes to the dress".

What happened to sitcoms? I miss the good old days when TV was actually scripted and characters were just that ; characters.

Reason why I hate Reality TV #1 - Reality TV killed Kramer.
When TV was real TV, characters like Kramer pulled so much weight. The absurd and the deranged weren't voted off, they were what made the show. You learned to love them for what they were instead of them being disposable sidekicks. It's so easy, in today's society to just get rid of what's annoying, we forget how to accept differences. TV is no exception. You don't fit the mold, viewers don't like you - the tribe has spoken...

Reason why I hate Reality TV #2 - There will never be another Elaine dance...
Participants are around for one season or less. They are given the boot to make room for the sluttier ones that will audition next year. Congratulations, you won! Here's you're 5 minutes of fame, your prize and your sex tape now please make way for the next guy!
Back in my day *age*, sitcoms lasted for years and years. We got to know the characters, their style, their quirks. For 10 years, 10 YEARS, we watched a group of 6 friends do random every day things. It wasn't boring - it was awesome because it had been playing for 10 YEARS! The Rachel became a haircut, the Elaine - a dance. These TV personalities had something good going that reality TV will never have - longevity.

Reason why I hate Reality TV #3 - Roles... played by actors.
Ellen played a lesbian bookstore owner. Jennifer Aniston played a selfish brat. Drew Carey had thick glasses. Sure, there were some resemblances to real life, but at least these actors and comedians played characters, not themselves. TV was a lot less self-centered characters could develop a lot more. I don't know about you, but I enjoy variety in the story lines of each episode. I enjoyed seeing David Schwimmer (so dreamy!) play Ross Gellar AND that arse-dude in Band of Brothers. It showed variety and I could say "I like that actor!" instead of "I hope she doesn't get sent home!" Reality TV has no depth, no theatrical side to it - they make so many efforts to bring real life to the TV... when we could all just walk around with mirrors if that's what we really wanted to see.

Reason why I hate Reality TV #4 - Joe and his mom's dog are famous.
EVERYONE has a shot a fame. That's not fame, it's popularity. Go back to high school, dress better, be nicer and date a jock - get it out of your system and leave my TV alone.

Reason why I hate Reality TV #5 - *flick-flick-flick*
All the good shows get canceled.
Enough said.

Reason why I hate Reality TV #6 - Everything is the same.
I'd rather watch reruns of Friends, Seinfeld, Will and Grace, Arrested Development over and over and over again than watching season after season of The Bachelor. Why? Because there's more variety. Boy is loaded. Boy meets 54 girls. Girls fall in love with boy. Boy picks girl. 53 girls are crushed. Someone gives someone a rose. The end. When you've seen one season, you've seen them all. Then they try to toss some twists and turns in there to no avail. Chandler and Monica in London, that's a twist.

I could go on for days, but right now, I'm going to watch a 13 year old episode of Seinfeld and I'm going to enjoy every moment of it. Bad clothes and all.

1 comment:

Chantale said...

OMG!! My thoughts exactly.
DF and I hate reality tv also.

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails