Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Revenge of the Banana Rack

Flashback to a bit over a year ago, I was trying getting rid of junk and clutter before we move half way across the country. My cousin was organizing a fund raising garage sale for the kids she works with so she drove up to the house one day with a mini-van and we loaded it, twice. I said I'd give Js a call, see if there was any of his things (most of which was still in boxes since we had doubles of EVERYTHING when he moved in) that he'd want to get rid of and my cousin would be able to come back the next day to pick up more crap.

The conversation went something like this :

Me : So there is nothing you want to get rid of, at all?
Him : Nope.
Me : So all those things we've had sitting around the apartment for over a year and we have never used... you want to keep them?
Him : Yep.
Me : We have SO many useless things... we have like, 2 kitchens worth of stuff. That banana rack that doesn't fit anywhere and we never use. There was another box of your stuff I almost gave her but I forgot and she was already gone... you know, that box of old pots and pans and that banana rack thing?
Him : *gasp* Don't give away my banana rack!
Me : *pause* You're kidding right? ...Right!?

So the conversation went on about the set of coffee tables he'd insisted on keeping but lost all the screws and couldn't find replacements a year later and how I gave them away and he couldn't do a thing about it because he was 3000kms away.

He then starts to rant about how his cellphone doesn't have the T9 option. Yeah right! So we made a bet, if I was able to find the T9 option on the phone, the banana rack had to go. If I was wrong, he'd get to keep it and I'd have to find a place for it in my heart.

So the joke went on for a couple of weeks until he came home for the move. Of course, I was able to find the T9 option in his phone. His heart was so crushed that I couldn't bare get rid of the damn banana rack. I get attached to stupid thing for stupid reasons. We still have a huge fake tree in our living room for that same reason but that's for another post.

Me : It's useless.
Him : It's awesome.
Me : What use is it when you have only one banana left?
Him : It's awesome.
Me : It's an odd shape and doesn't fit anywhere.
Him : It's awesome.

I caved and we ended up keeping the blessed thing. Every time I use it (because we actually do) it reminds me of our bet and why it is exactly that I agreed to move half way across the country to be with him. I'm pretty sure he only buys bananas now to make a point.

Anyways, so last week Js had already gone to work when I finally dragged my groggy ass downstairs. There it was, mocking me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is hilarious and I totally side with Js... I loved our banana rack (which I got from the dollar store) which M hated and therefore has moved and subsequently lost...

Danielle said...

LOL! I LOVE it!

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails