Monday, March 8, 2010

Hi! I'm dehydrated, nice to meet you!

I'm a dry prune. The Prairies have done wonders to my skin but I can't sit here and blame the geographical area. I've had pretty much every skin conidition you can think of except acne (Thank the teeny baby Jesus!) and I'm pretty sure I'll have the next one they discover. My skin is dry and messed up, it's hereditary. My grand-ma has had horribly reactive skin her entire life and I remember being 8 years old and her telling me that I was going to be cursed too. Welcome hormones, too much sun and voila! I flake, I itch, I blemish, I have spots I can't explain. Lovely isn't it?!

Working in cosmetics has bee a savior! I'm very well aware of what my skin needs and it allowed me to load it with the right products at a discounted price. Since I've left retail *quivering chin* I have tried to find cheaper alternatives to no avail. I've gone back to my fail-proof favorites but the damage seems to be irrepairable. I blame cheap pharmacy brands. Death to them all!!

Enough excuses... I know the main problem(s) with my skin is(are) caused by my intense dehydration. (PS: Funny story. I spent 2 YEARS of my life saying "Dehydratation" much to the amusement of my staff and coworkers due to a typo on some signage. Great.)

The best way to address this is to obviously drink more water. Easier said than done!! I've been trying to drink more water but have not been very sucessful, *itch-itch* so now, I committ to you, dearest reader (yes, singular!) that :
  1. I will make arrangements to have the water-cooler at work fixed and replenished.
  2. I will bring a large water bottle at work and will do my best to refil it at least twice a day.
  3. I will drink more water at home by carrying a refillable water bottle with me.
  4. I will eat more fresh fruit and veggies daily.

Everytime I scratch at my skin, I will remind myself that :

  1. Drinking more water leads to more peeing. More peeing leads to less work.
  2. If I drank more water, I wouldn't be as hungry all the time. More water, less calories.
  3. I get on Js' case when he bites his nails - he's allowed to get on my case about the itching.
  4. The more I itch, the more I'll scar.
  5. The more lotion I put on my skin, the more I can buy!! :)
  6. I would rather be a blushing bride than a blotchy bride.

So, there. I'll do my best!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

More drinking only leads to more peeing for a little while, until your body finds its hew balance point!
I get a homeopathic tincture from my naturopath called "ReHydrate" - you add 30 drops to 1 litre of water, and it makes it some how more effective in your body. I don't necissarily understand it, but it seems to work.
Good luck to you!

Lovely Lori said...

Oh you go Girl! I will check on you.... Just to let you know :-)

Erin said...

Have you tried any Avene products? I have super sensitive baby skin and it is the only thing that works. It's $40ish for 40 ml, and it's totally worth it. Try the Eau Thermale Avene Hydrance Optimale. 25 SPF, Creme Hydratante peux sensible. It's my life saver.

Unknown said...

I have crazy dry skin. No amount of water-drinking affects it. Only the heaviest of cream moisturizers. Good luck on your endeavour :)

Marie said...

Thanks for the wise advice, ladies!

I have tried and LOVE Avene products but they are still just a tad over my budget... at least more so than when I was getting them with an employee discount. ;)

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails