Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tattoo Take Two

I've been giving more and more thought to getting a second tattoo lately. I don't know exactly what I want and where I want it but it's kinda itching at my creative self slowly.

My only criteria for tattoos is I have to draw/design/develop the idea of it. I don't want something copied from a book or something that anyone could have for any reason. I want each to be unique, to tell a story and I want the placement of it to mean something too, if at all possible.

I got my first tattoo almost 2 years ago. It's a black rose that I'd designed many years prior when Jf said he wanted to get a black rose tattoo. I came up with this design and although it was too feminine for him (*shock*) he really liked it. I was so hooked on it that I couldn't draw anything else for him so we kinda but that initiative on the back burner. When I decided I wanted a tattoo I just couldn't shake that rose out of my head. It took me about 4 months to find a parlor and an artist that I was comfortable with and right away, booked an appointment and made a deposit. The decision was made, no backing down now - just what I needed.

I went by myself. I'd asked Maggie if she could come with but she couldn't get out of work but I was cool with that. Turned out I was glad I went on my own. When the tattoo artist said he'd rarely seen people come in for their first tattoo on their own, I explained Js was away on course and the only other 2 people I'd bring with me couldn't make it... I realized, I may have to give birth on my own one day. (I am not, by any means, comparing a getting a tattoo to giving birth to a child.)

The rose came at a good time in my life, a time of change. It represents many many things to me, most of those things I'm not really able to talk about even to this day. It represents the good in my life, the progress and the special kind of understanding and trust I have with those I've kept close all my life.

The design is somewhat abstract and most people say "Do you mind if I ask you what your tattoo is?!" and I really don't. It's meant to confuse. It's on my back, shoulder blade height but closer to my right arm so it's not very visible. Sorta between my arm pit and my bra strap, to make it sound classy.

So what is my second tattoo going to be? Why do I want one now?
As I approach another time of change in my life, I feel the need to immortalize and honor my maiden name. I am going to be taking Js' last name and although I'm very happy about my decision, I can't help but feel a teeny twinge of nostalgia and ... sadness?

My definition of "family" is going to change, a lot. Over the last year I've learned to live away from my family, far far away. I've learned to be a part of the family unit in different ways and I've learned exactly how important family is to be.

As Js and I get married, my definition of family will never ever be the same again.

Until then, it's back to the drawing board for me...

4 comments:

E. said...

I've been thinking long and hard about getting a tattoo myself. I found a design I really, really like, but like you, would like to somehow "make it my own." Lots of luck figuring out what #2 will be...

Erin said...

Good luck deciding Marie. I think you should get a picture of Jack on your back, so when you wear your beautiful wedding gown, and walk down the aisle, everyone can see Jack! Hahahaha. Kidding, obviously. Your mother would kill you, then me for putting that idea into your head lol. Happy drawing/creativity time!

Lovely Lori said...

I hear you... I have 7 tattos and they all have special meanings to me :-)

Marie said...

Erin, that's hilarious! Even Jack wouldn't approve.

I knew you had tattoos, Lori but I didn't quite picture you having 7 of them! Lookit you, rock star!! ;)

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails