Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Offbeat Bride - How are you judged for your last name choice?

An interesting post I read today on OffbeatBride.com about changing your name when you get married vs keeping your maiden name. Some folks at a Dutch university published a paper showing that women who took their husband's last names were less likely to be hired for jobs, and made significantly less money.

As Ariel puts it :
The shifts and trends in last names over the last 40 year have coincided with significant cultural shifts in women's societal roles, so I think it's understandable that people would use the heavily politicized issue of last names as an indicator. I don't think these assumptions are accurate, of course. But it seems reasonable to me that in the shifting cultural landscape of gender roles, people will cling to whatever clues they can get when making judgments.
I've blogged about my decision to take Js' name before and even though I think the results to the study are total bullcrap (not the study itself, I just think what the results show about society sucks balls.) I think the post by Ariel is very interesting including comments from someone who's read the entire study.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Erin said...

Mike and I have talked about this. We've talked about all the options (me hypenating, both of us hyphenating, and us combining our last name to something random [McHare hahaha]). I think it's up to the individual couple to decide what works best for them.

Personally, as someone who does the hiring for my organization, I wouldn't look at someone's last name to figure out what they're going to make. I don't understand how someone can make a significant amount less than someone else, based on a personal, non-work related thing, such as last name. I think, when the research was done, they found a massive amount of coincidences, which led them to come to the [ridiculous] conclusions that they have. I haven't read the whole study, but from what I gather, it's bs.

Marie said...

I agree - it's redonk. How can people know from reading your resume if you've changed your name or not?! I'm not quite sure the data they complied for the study reflects reality very well.

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails