Saturday, May 15, 2010

Home Stuff - Another challenge!

I like challenges (because being a military spouse isn't enough!) and I'm always trying to find ways to grow, learn and discover new things. I don't like to stand still.

I thought I would share my efforts, problems, solutions and adventures as I try to convert this house into our home.

Truth is, we currently live in Military Housing and it's the first place that we have that's "ours" as opposed to "mine and then he moved in". We've been here for a bit over a year and we haven't done much to the place to be quite honest. We were lucky to be assigned to a recently renovated MQ (Married Quarters - though they are called Housing Units now, they are still referred to as MQs or Qs) and we kinda got lazy because everything was good and functional and looked okay.

We both lived in rental apartments for quite some time before we moved in together. When you live in an apartment by yourself or with roommates, simply painting the walls is a huge task. Because you don't know how long you'll be living there for and because you have to paint everything back to the standard white or eggshell paint before you vacate, you tend to just leave it be.

That's what we've been telling ourselves over the last year and I'm sick and tired of looking at beige walls, box upon box of unpacked clutter due to lack of organizational space. Ugh.

My challenge will be to make this place a little bite more ours and to convince Js to let me. He doesn't see how it affects me that the downstairs bathroom is a total disaster and all those white walls blind me. There's also the challenge of saving a buck or two - because we don't own the place, we can't tear down a wall or anything so I have to find creative ways for people to look away from the ugly carpet. I also don't want to pay someone else to do the work and I don't want it to cost us our first born. It's just not worth spending too much money when we have so many other priorities and we'll get nothing in return.

I have a certificate in Interior Decorating that I've never used for anything else but plant my butt firmly in front of TV shows like 'Take this house and sell it' or 'Color Confidential'. I figure it's time to put it to a bit more productive use.

I'll post some "Home Stuff" updates, tips, progress reports as I face my challenge head on... Stay tuned...

8 comments:

Lovely Lori said...

Color will be good :-) Make it feel more homey :-) We are just waiting for our actual posting message, then the color palette will come out!

What do you think of orange for a kitchen?

Marie said...

I think orange for a kitchen is bright and fun! Do you have a lot of natural light in your kitchen?

I had a pink and orange kitchen for a couple years and it was nice because I only needed to buy some chartreuse accessories and decorations to change the look completely when I got tired of the pink!

I wouldn't go for a "burnt orange" kinda tone... might look a bit too dark if your kitchen is small but it's great for the dinning room! Who wants "burnt" stuff in the kitchen anyways!? ;)

Lovely Lori said...

We have alot of natural light as we have BIG windows in there with no curtains ( on purpose :-)

I am going to use a bright orange :-)

Thanks Marie :-)

Marie said...

I can't wait to see pictures - knowing you, I'm sure there will be pictures and they will look fab! ;)

I couldn't paint the walls in our old kitchen so all my accessories and decorative thinga-ma-bobs were pink and orange - I've been looking for an old photo to show you... to no avail. :(

Lovely Lori said...

Oh there will be photos! I can;t help myself.. I LOVE taking them :-)

Thanks for looking for me :-)

Unknown said...

I used the CFHA approved "green" colour in our Q, and it was such a relief to not have that sickly yellow tint to everything. I can sit in our living room and feel relaxed for the first time in a long time!!
Also, CFHA will pay for 2 pails of their approved paint every year you live there :) So Yay! Cheap!

Marie said...

We asked CFHA if they said their only colors were white - which I find kind of odd because our place is beige with brown accent walls.

I think they can suck their approved colors and I'm going to paint whatever I want, whatever color I want. :)

They also pay for some lawn care stuff... so we have to bring in our receipts! Hurray!!

Danielle said...

oooh exciting!! that's great! I want to see pictures!

LinkWithin3

Related Posts with Thumbnails